[Home] [Manuals] [AIS Location] [AIS Traffic]

Welcome to Vivace` - K3388 - ZMG2574

Vivace` (vee-vaa-che) is a Lotus 9.2m sloop designed by Alan Wright and built around 1985 and moored at Westhaven Marina,Auckland.
Construction is GRP and powered by a 27hp 3cyl Yanmar inboard Diesel with a compressor driven freezer and fridge. At a squeeze, there are 3 double berths and one single berth.
Not shown is a furling headsail, Autotiller, electric head and galley. A 2.4m inflatable with 2.2hp outboard makes up the tender.

LOA : 9.40m
LOH : 9.20m
Beam : 3.40m
Draft : 1.70m

View from companionway forward

View aft to galley/companionway

John in the cabin looking out

Inflatable tied to the stern

Sunset towards Auckland Harbour Bridge

Traps for young players.

There I was..Busy replacing one of the batteries. I had gone out to Vivace' all prepared to pop the new one in. This should not have taken more than 30 minutes (yeah right - Not so says Murphy). I loaded all the gear onto the inflatable and putt-putted out. (Heavy load - 10Lt Diesel,1 Marine Battery,Food/drink for the day and me). Not too much trouble getting everything on board. I opened up the hatch, got out the spanners and removed the old battery - I put this up in the cockpit and brought down the new one and installed it. Easy.

Challenge 1

The new battery terminals were on the opposite sides. So Positive was where the old Negative was and vice versa. The battery cables were too short to stretch over the battery to the other side. And also too short if I turned the battery around. No problem. Get get two new battery leads.

Challenge 2

So I reached up to lever myself out of the hold (This is where the batteries are stored - I'm working in a nice confined space on my knees for those not in the know). My fingers latched onto the open hatch lid and the weight of me trying to drag myself out of the hold forces the lid shut with me still inside the hold. The hasp pops across the staple and I am effectively locked inside the hold. My phone is in the cabin - well out of reach. The only person who knows where I am is Kathy. And she is out and about until 9 tonight (It's now 10am). So she won't miss me until at least then.

There is a cavity around the transom going around to the quarter berth on the Starboard side. But even young Jack (my 2 year old grandson) would not have been able to get through there. Even if he was here and I was able to get him to understand the predicament and then do something about it. This is where panic starts to set in. I don't have enough tools to dismantle the motor (I only have those to replace the battery, remember?) so getting out through the engine compartment is also out.

I then start thumping on the lid from the inside. Now you need to get the timing just right. So this took a while. I eventually got the rhythm right and the hasp pops off. And I am out. I eventually get down to the store. Get replacement leads and finish the job. It took 3 hours in the end.

The moral of this story is twofold.

1 DO NOT PANIC - ( I nearly did)

2 Secure the lid with a rope/shock cord or have somebody else with you.

John sorting out the chartplotter cabling.

Sunrise towards Rangitoto from the cockpit. After a night on Vivace' to 'get acquainted'
(More for Kathy to get used to the idea)

Sunrise towards Rangitoto with a view of the stern of Vivace' taken from the inflatable.

Weekend Trip - 15/16 November 2008 (Kathy's version)

Let me tell you about our weekend. I WAS NOT looking forward to it one little bit. I wasn't sure if I would get seasick and I wasn't sure about sharing cramped quarters with 3 relative strangers. However, I knew that I had to go some time so this was it.

The weather forecast was good (and right) so we did last minute shopping on Friday night, packed up on Saturday and headed for the marina at about 8. John dropped me and our luggage off on the boat and went to fetch Bruce (having to use the dinghy to get to the boat has it's limitations) who was to arrive at 8,30. By the time they got back I had more or less unpacked our bits and pieces and was ready to roll. We took the boat across to the loading dock and loaded Bruce's dive gear up plus his other stuff and waited for Peter and Margaret (all 3 members of the dive club and P & M had been sailing with John before). Once we had loaded all their stuff up we were ready to go soon after 10. We motored out of the marina and set sail to start our weekend and as soon as we hoisted the genoa (I think - smaller front sail) it tore in 2 places - oh dear. We turned back because the spare sail was at home. John shot off to get the sail and we had a sandwich and tea - the guys had a beer. By the time John got back it was going on for 12 and we were kind of running late - not that anyone was stressed. It was all very relaxed and laid back. The boys were anxious to get underway and decided to put the new genoa on while we were sailing down the harbour - bad decision because there was quite a wind blowing and the sail and ropes were all over the place. We were VERY LUCKY that the worst injury was rope burns to Margaret's hands. However, once we had all that sorted and got down to the business of actually sailing all was 'plain sailing' for the rest of the weekend. We sailed up the harbour, past Rangitoto and Browns Island to Motuihe Island. We had lunch on the way and it was quite an easy sail because the wind was quite brisk. The sea was far from calm, but I didn't feel seasick if I stayed on deck. At Motuihe we met up with Sirene, other boat and had a chat to them (Brian,Martin S,Vivienne, KC and LeeLee) while they ate their lunch (they had waited for us he-he) and then we set off for Waiheke. Again an easy sail. I think I might have had the tiller for quite a bit of that leg. I do enjoy steering if I am told what to point at. I am not too good at looking up at the wind direction indicators and things on the mast because it hurts my neck to look up, but I am learning slowly. We got to a lovely calm bay on the south side of Waiheki Island and anchored close-ish to the other boat. The guys tried a bit of fishing and one of the divers went over to have a look, but there was nothing to see or gather so they decided not to dive. It was a good thing we took meat for the barbecue because no-one caught any fish! At about 5pm we all went ashore to a little bay where we had a bbq - we had brought Dolphins's gas bbq with us and very handy it was too! The beach caught the afternoon sun and was almost too hot. It was just perfect and we stayed there until about 7.30 I think. That is where the pic of us eating was taken.

We had a cup of tea and most of us were in bed by 8.30. Bruce went off on the other boat fishing for a bit but they didn't catch much - there were 5 on Sirene.

John and I had the forward berth which had the most privacy and had a hatch we could open to let fresh air in and we were very comfortable - I actually slept very well much to my surprise. Peter and Margaret and Bruce all slept in the main cabin, but Peter couldn't stand Bruce's snoring (and he is hard of hearing!) and moved to the aft quarterberth. It was comfortable and we all coped very well.

We had breakfast at about 7 (the grill on Vivace' makes very nice toast), tidied up and set sail for Rakino - back the way we came and then north-westish to the island. We were actually headed for the Noises but I am not sure if we went there. We anchored next to some rocky outcrops in Woody Bay and Margaret and Bruce went diving. They saw lots of fish and enjoyed their dive. When they came back up we had some lunch and then headed round the north side of Rangitoto for home. Once again I had the helm for about 1 1/2 hours and the sea was quite big. We rolled all over the place, but I held the course and it was good fun. The pic of me smiling is when we had got into calmer waters behind Rangitoto. We got back to the marina just before 5 and offloaded all the gear and did some cleaning of the boat before Peter & Margaret left for home and John and Bruce took the boat back to her mooring. By the time we got home it was after 7, but we were tired and happy. It was a good weekend. The others all knew about my reservations, but didn't tease me or mock me - they encouraged me and it was all very nice. I certainly could do that again - not every weekend, but quite often during the summer I hope. The old girl is fully capable of learning new tricks.

Brown's Island

Margaret at the tiller with Auckland in the distance

Brown's Island off the stern

Bruce and John at Rocky Bay

John returning to collect crew to ferry to shore for the BBQ

Bruce and Peter with a cold one

John and Kathy on the rocks

Martin chomping on the (T)bone

Margaret,Peter and KC enjoying their meal

John enjoying a cuppa back on board

Kathy gearing up for beddybyes

Sunset towards Auckland

Sunset towards Half Moon Bay

Sunset towards Rocky Bay

Auckland Anniversary Weekend Trip - 24/25 January 2009

We are really enjoying sailing and in recent weeks Kath has overcome her lack of confidence and we have been out alone to try our skills.

The first trip went quite well for new sailors. We tried a new route (because the wind was blowing that way) up the east coast of the North Shore. There were not too many other boats on the water and we were having a good time until the wind became a bit stronger and Kath decided that her courage had been tested enough for one day so we headed back.
It was a lovely sail (the weather was lovely and hot and sunny) and best of all we got into our mooring with no problem. Definitely earned a beer at the end of that achievement!


Moored at Gulf Harbour

This weekend we decided on the spur of the moment to sail to Gulf Harbour. We had been unable to find an experienced sailor to go with us and were reluctant to overnight alone because of lack of experience with managing the anchor. However, Kath suggested going to Gulf Harbour where we could hire a marina berth for $20 and not have to worry about anchors.

Before she had a chance to change her mind we were in the boat and on our way! We tried very hard to sail into light winds that were all over the place. We tried tacking but ended up going in circles and not getting very far. We both got quite frustrated at the lack of progress and our lack of skill and we exchanged harsh words, but then settled down and basically motored all the way to Gulf Harbour. It took us about 5 hours and we got there at about 6.30pm. It was another glorious sunny day and the sail was useful in keeping the sun off even if it didn't help us get to where we wanted to go! We saw a couple of small penguins for the first time. All alone in the big sea - what a life! We also enjoyed seeing 4 Americas Cup yachts out on the water. We were out of their way but we could hear the sails creaking and see their progress. It was very exciting.
Our inexperience showed up again when we tried to 'park' in our berth, but we managed eventually with no-one falling in and no damage to the boat - just a little scrape to the berth finger. Our challenge was that we did not know what side we needed to attach the fenders until we actually got to the berth and then there was not time - ah, we live and learn.

After we had 'checked in' we enjoyed a 'gourmet burger' at the cafe and it was very delicious (anything would have tasted good by then because we were starving). The meal was washed down with a nice cold bottle of white wine and topped off with large chocolate ice cream cones. We wove our way back to the boat and went to bed quite early. Unfortunately we didn't sleep too well. It was very hot - but it did cool off towards morning and we got a couple of hours. Up soon after the sun for a cup of coffee on deck and some breakfast. Then the phone rang and our friends Johan and Elmarie were accepting our invitation to come and have a cup of coffee and look at the boat. We went for a short walk and were back by the time they arrived at about 9.30. We had worked out how to put up the sun shelter before they got there. I must say that if anyone had to watch us doing these things they would probably die laughing! We have a good giggle too, sometimes and always feel good when we get it right. It was good to have the shade because it was very hot and there was no breeze. Johan and Elmarie loved the boat and are now willing to come out with us some time which is good news!

Our other visitors were Jacqui, Gary, Jack and Kate. It was easy to have people come on board because of the marina berth. Jack has become very excited about Big Boats lately and was very excited to be going onto the Big Boat with us. We shared a second breakfast (for us) of croissants with watermelon to follow and then Jacqui, Kate and I left the boys to go out for a quick motor with Jack. We felt that a short trip would be good for such a little chap and he absolutely loved it!

The family got in their car and headed home and we set sail at about 12 to return home. Once again there was very little wind, but eventually it came up and we started really sailing - great fun. We were tacking more successfully and zig-zagged our way across the gulf heading for home. At one stage quite a large fish, probably a shark was swimming alongside us in the same direction as us very close to the surface of the water. It was about 1m long I guess. We got quite close to it, then suddenly it turned around and went back the way it had come - and we had to do a quick tack because we had lost our wind following the fish.

We did quite well until we got closer to Auckland when a whole lot of things conspired against us!

First, of course, was our inexperience. Second was the fact that the wind picked up and was really quite strong and third was that they had set two race courses for the Americas Cup boats right across the harbour.

Wherever we went we seemed to be in their way and sometimes it was very difficult to get out of their way before we got run down! We did comment that if there was TV coverage of the race our ineptitude would be exposed to the world! In the end we dropped our sails and motored back to base. It was a disappointing end to a great couple of days and as we reflected on the trip we definitely felt that it was a great experience.

We are growing our skills and really enjoying the experience while doing so!

Waitangi Weekend Sailing Trip to Kawau

With the 1st weekend in February being a long weekend we decided to get away on Vivace' for a couple of days. Bob Shaw happily agreed to come with us so we were all set and managed to get out of the marina by 9.00 on Friday morning. We wanted to be well clear of the harbour before the Louis Vuitton Regatta started up and we achieved that. We motored out and set sails as we left the shelter of the harbour. What I wasn't prepared for was the briskness of the wind and the size of the swells. As soon as we cleared Rangitoto the boat took off to a jubilant yee-haa from Bob and John. I was far from happy and said so - the boat heeling over at quite an angle sideways on to fairly large swells had me WAY outside my comfort zone. Bob being the gentleman that he is immediately trimmed the sails and had the boat sailing less spectacularly - boring for the guys, I know, but much better for me.

We made really good speeds in the wind and it was a good experience although I wouldn't want to be out in that weather too often. We all got bruises from bumping into things and any venture down into the cabin was definitely exciting! Without going into too much detail, trips to the toilet were feats of acrobatics and balance. We all stopped drinking water etc in the interest of our safety!

We stopped for lunch at Tiritiri Matangi (a bird sanctuary island off the tip of Whangaparaoa) and were able to sit at the table and eat like normal people as the island gave us super shelter. People were swimming and sun bathing which looked weird when we had come in from the wild ocean!

We set off after lunch for Kawau Island and the weather was a little calmer. We made good time again and were able to drop anchor in North Cove at about 4pm. We were well protected from the weather and it was a nice quiet spot. We were a bit low on bread so Bob and I set off to walk over the ridge to Bon Accord which has the only store on the island. Bon Accord is the favourite anchor spot for yachties which is why we avoided it. It is very noisy!

Bob was sure there was a good wide footpath over the ridge but it took us a while to find it. Instead we headed straight up a very steep hill that was very slippery underfoot. The man at North Cove said it would take us about 95 minutes each way, but Bob thought it would be more like 40. I was a very nervous companion and kept suggesting we should turn back - it was interesting walking and we saw a few wild wallabies, but there was no sign of our destination and it was quite late. However, full marks to Bob, he persisted and before we knew it we were on a downhill slope and heading for Bon Accord. Bob was right - it took about 45 minutes. We found the shop and bought our bread. I was very glad we were not anchored there because the party makers had really loud music playing. We found a different route back (by accident!) and it was much easier on a proper path. By the time we got back John was waiting for us at the pier and had been cooking the boerewors on the bbq on the boat. Bob and I enjoyed a cool drink and the food went down a treat, too. John tried a bit of fishing, but had no success. It was a beautiful evening and we all slept quite well.

We planned to get up early and head for a dive site north of Kawau. We had breakfast and set off a bit later than planned and once we got around the island we found that the swells were still quite large, so we turned around and went to one of the little islands just east of Kawau where we anchored in a lovely sheltered bay and the boys went off for a dive. John had a bit of trouble with his ears, so they didn't go as deep as they would have liked, but they enjoyed themselves anyway. After a cup of soup and packing the gear away we headed for home. In total contrast to the day before there was NO wind and the sea was much calmer. We had the main sail up for shade and motored home. It was a lovely lazy day. We saw a few sharks and a few penguins and other than that seemed to have the water to ourselves.

The boys in the water at Motuketete Island.

The trip back sitting in the shade of the mainsail

The LV Pacific Series race in the harbour with spectators milling around

When we got closer to Auckland we saw the regatta was on and the course was along the North Shore. We stayed well clear of the boats. A few officials came up to us and warned us of the racing but the actual boats came nowhere near us. We got back to the marina, cleaned up and packed up and were on the road home by 6pm. We had a great 2 days and it was one more experience to add to our short lives as sailors on the Hauraki Gulf.

Easter Weekend

When the weather seemed set for a fine Easter weekend we started planning for a few days away on Vivace'. The first important step was to find friends who would be happy to spend the weekend with and, fortunately for us, Peter and Margaret Howard were available and agreed to come with us.
Because Kathy had a church service at 2 on Good Friday afternoon, we agreed to leave from Westhaven at about 4. John made a few trips to the boat in the morning and managed to get most of our stuff loaded. Kathy arrived at the marina just before 3.30 and Peter and Margaret arrived soon after. Peter helped John to bring Vivace' to the loading dock and Margaret and Kathy took 4 loaded wagons down to the dock. All went smoothly and we were able to cast off by 4. While the boys got us out of the harbour, the girls packed stuff away downstairs. There was a bit of a breeze and we made it across to Islington Bay before it got too dark under sail. John quickly set the barbeque up on deck and Marg & Kathy made salads and before long we were sitting down to a delicious meal. Peter somehow found himself on dishes duty every night enthusiastically encouraged by the rest of us. We got our beds made up and went to sleep quite early (well, tried, anyway)
We woke up early (except for Peter) and Kathy had the kettle on for an early morning cuppa and soon we were all up and about. After breakfast we set out for the Rakino Jazz festival at Sandy Bay on Rakino Island. There wasn't much wind, so we motored across and it didn't take long at all. We anchored and headed across to the beach in 2 shifts. John was very pleased that Margaret had suggested that it would be a good idea to put the oars in the dinghy when he and Peter ran out of fuel on the 3rd trip! We sat on the beach in the sun and enjoyed the live music played up above us. There were sausages for sale that were very tasty and made a good lunch. We had a bit of a walk around and enjoyed the scenery and the art exhibition before eventually going back to Vivace' having enjoyed a very relaxing day. Peter wasn't happy that lots of boats upped anchor and left the bay where we had thought we'd spend the night, so we motored across to Motutapu into a sheltered bay and settled in there for the evening. We had boerewors on the barbeque with some nice tomato and onion gravy. It rained a little while John was cooking the meat, but the rest of us were cosy inside sipping gin and tonic and waiting for the food.
We really enjoyed the meal and once again didn't stay up too late. We all slept a bit better that night although the Howards did have some comments about the Freeman snoring symphony! We had a later start on Sunday and enjoyed a cooked breakfast to celebrate Easter Sunday. We then headed for the Noisies where John and Marg had a dive for mussels. They came up with our quota of very nice big mussels and then we headed for Oneroa Bay on Waiheke Island for the night. We sailed across there and it was a lovely trip. There were quite a few boats in the bay, but it was still lovely and quiet. The guys tried some fishing but only caught babies, so they all went back. We enjoyed mussels for starters and another barbecue for dinner - we really ate very well all weekend - and still took lots of food home with us! We had a bit of chocolate to celebrate Easter, played a game of Jumbling Tower and headed for bed.
In the morning Kathy decided that a swim was a good idea for getting refreshed and after the shock of getting in found that the water was very pleasant and went for a swim around the boat. The jokers on board thought that it was quite funny that Kathy couldn't get back up, but John got out the boarding ladder and all was well. After breakfast we headed for home and got to the marina at about lunch time. While the guys unloaded the boat Marg & Kathy made lunch and we enjoyed our last meal together before offloading and cleaning and packing away. We were all done by about 2.30 and headed for home for the shower and to get all the weekend chores done.

Lunch Time

Lunch Time

Rakino Jazz Festival

Rakino Jazz Festival

Rakino Jazz Festival

Sandy Bay

Sandy Bay

Beer Time

Waikalabubu Bay

Waikalabubu Bay

Peter doing dishes

John and Margaret preparing mussels


After the Morning Dip

If you have comments or questions, feel free to email


You are Visitor